The compelling customer business case for VDI adoption and the essential feature and benefit dynamics that align to their needs.
Use cases, customer journeys, ROI models and sales playbooks.
Use Cases and Customer Journeys
The primary use cases and benefits of VDI are:
- Enable remote working – VDI divorces the desktop from local hardware. Users can access their apps from anywhere via any device. In the Covid era the need to enable work-from-home has become a strategic necessity.
- Standardization – VDI enables businesses to create and manage their own desktop images, so the business can create desktops with application sets tailored for certain user types, such as finance and HR, ideal for scenarios such as call centres where hundreds of staff all work with exactly the same application set.
- Security, Compliance and Business Continuity – VDI enables greater central control over desktop environments, centralizing the data security required for compliance while also ensuring continuity of operations in the event of disasters.
- Migration and cost efficiency – Organizations undertaking a general cost optimization program through migrating enterprise IT infrastructure to the Cloud, can include desktop migration as part of this modernization.
Forrester offers this business impact guide for VDI, defining key business case benefits:
- Simplified desktop management improves efficiency and allows for management of more devices in less time.
- Reduced end user downtime related to management and security issues.
- Streamlined application and patch management, saving more than an hour handling each device.
This includes a specific report for Microsoft’s Azure VDI:
- A three-year 210 percent return on investment and payback on the initial investment in as little as three months.
- Reduced IT costs for maintenance, deployment, and management by 59 percent.
- Reduced VDI licensing and infrastructure costs by up to 34 percent.
- Increased productivity by up to 22 person-hours through improved security response, connectivity, and user onboarding.
An example of a customer opportunity use case scenario is the Modernize VDI to Azure Virtual Desktop SMB & ENT journey, a campaign providing resources addressing the partner opportunity and infographic materials for showcasing the service and it’s potential for enabling virtual working scenarios.
This knowledge base series covers the comparison between Azure VDI and Windows 365.